Senior Communications Director
United States | Remote
There has never been a more important time to be working on climate change. To meet our climate goals, we need experienced and motivated campaigners to join the fight for a transition away from fossil fuels.
Gas Leaks is hiring a Senior Communications Director to join its team in a leadership role with this national campaign to change public perception of gas as dangerous and the gas industry selling a toxic product. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneur in communications tactics with experience across earned media, paid content, and social strategies, who is excited to lead our fast-moving, creative team from the front. They will bring experience managing a dynamic team of staff and consultants, integrating data-backed messaging across campaign verticals, and creating systems and structures that maximize impact.
Gas Leaks has ambitious goals and is seeking an experienced and well-rounded communications professional to create and execute on cutting-edge campaigns.
Senior Communications Director Role
- Develop the overall campaign message and integrate that message across campaign verticals and platforms.
- Manage 4-5 communications staff and consultants (video creator, social media manager, content creator, digital consultant).
- Serve as a thought partner to the executive director and program director, and bring new ideas for creative and earned media campaigns and content.
- Create holistic communications strategies in support of organizational goals across earned, paid, and social media, and more. Manage and participate in execution of supporting tactics. Oversee all content creation and ensure highest quality standards.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and its campaigns.
- Manage the expansion of influencer campaigns, audiences, and voices.
- Oversee brand identity, online presence, and website rebuild.
- Manage media, climate, and brand partnerships to expand organizational reach and strategic audiences.
- Sets earned, social, and digital media key performance indicators and develops systems to measure and report on success against those metrics.
- 10-12+ years experience in communications, media, marketing, mission driven work.
- Experience with climate or environmental advocacy campaigns and issues.
- Understands the climate and clean energy landscape, including policy issues, political context, industry and market developments, and cultural environment.
- Experience developing persuasion, narrative-shifting communications strategies, and campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Able to develop clear and concise messages, framing, talking points, and related communications assets.
- Experience leading successful earned media campaigns and serving as an on-the-record spokesperson. Broadcast experience preferred.
- Experience with paid media, creative content development, and digital and social media strategies.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice and ability to respectfully communicate across cultural differences. Models these behaviors for direct reports and external stakeholders.
- Experience managing staff.
- Highly organized and able to lead and manage multiple projects at once without sacrificing quality.
- Persuasive – Strong communicator with outstanding interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills. Able to guide others to create and deliver effective content.
- Strong Judgment – Strong stakeholder and coalition management skills with ability to work effectively within complex environments.
- Motivated – A self-starter who demonstrates strong proactive leadership and an inclusive management style. Delegates appropriately while remaining flexible. Willing to pitch in to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Strategic – Uses resources and plans to create impact; welcomes experimentation with an eye towards data-driven results; measures results and adjust strategies accordingly.
- Rapidly Responds – Identifies opportunity, brainstorms and collaborates with key individuals/partners, assesses if there is an opportunity, and executes quickly.
- Flexible – In a start-up environment, you will need to be able to adjust and pivot to finding solutions to unexpected challenges.
- Doer — Executes in campaign tactics and strategic communications approaches across media platforms (print, broadcast, social, paid digital).
Gas Leaks is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. We strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences to apply, especially people from communities that have been historically underrepresented in the energy, climate and environmental sectors.
Salary is $160,000. Gas Leaks offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave.
Remote. U.S. Based.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Applications will not be reviewed without submitting both. We ask that you refrain from using tools like Chat GPT and keep the cover letter to one page. Priority will be given to candidates who submit before December 4 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply early. Initial interviews will begin in mid December with a second round to be scheduled in mid January. We are seeking candidates who would be able to start early March, 2024.
Gas Leaks is a sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, a 501c(3) that helps individuals, trusts, foundations, and corporations achieve their philanthropic goals.